Develop a comprehensive understanding of the microbial decomposition of wood.
- Improved rapid identification of microorganisms associated with wood biodegradation.
- Understanding the colonization and interactions of microbial community associated with the wood decay process.
- Understanding the role of nutrients and optimum levels necessary for rapid wood decay.
- Understanding spore germination and other factors related to the initiation of wood decay in above ground exterior exposure.
Develop methods for improving long-term weathering characteristics of wood products.
Develop microbial methods for conversion of woody biomass to fuels, chemical products, and feedstock.
Develop a website designed to serve as an international clearinghouse and outreach vehicle to disseminate information pertaining to wood biodeterioration and preservation.
Educate young scientists in biodeterioration.
Develop accelerated test methodology for evaluating systems that protect wood from biodegradation.
- Improved rapid methods for detecting and measuring the extent of wood decay.
- Mechanisms of biocide depletion.
- Reduction in the rate of biodegradation of wood preservative biocides.